A new musical venture from the NE1 team, Music by the Marina is going to be a tune-packed day with something for everyone.
One of the new events the NE1 team are bringing to their already-packed Summer in the City schedule is Music by the Marina, a full day of music in a lovely riverside setting and all for free.
What is NE1’s Music by the Marina?
Music by the Marina is a day of music at Wesley Square near Newcastle City Marina that features a tune-tastic line-up of local musicians and DJs performing throughout the day for everyone to enjoy, The acts have been chosen to be varied, inclusive and exciting - in a nutshell, it's a mini-music fest that you won’t want to miss out on.
Where is it?
It’s taking place at Wesley Square, which is on the Quayside near the Marina and just in front of the Law Court.
When is it?
Music by the Marina is running from 10am till 4pm on Saturday 29th July, with live acts and DJs performing all day.
Which acts are performing?
Spin City Crew DJs, fronted by the magnificent DJ Awkward Black Girl, will be opening and closing Music by the Marina with a set alongside spinning tunes in between other acts. Alongside them you can see:
- Nev Clay - an actual Tyneside hero with a knack for heartbreaking folk songs and fantastically tangential chat, the man who prompted Marc Riley from BBC 6Music to admit that sometimes he wished he lived in Newcastle.
- Idle Hands – an up-and-coming local band of teens who recently sold out Cluny 2.
- Haaji Ka Halva – a thrilling and very contemporary collision of British and Pakistani influences from an exciting new DJ.
- Voice Of The Town – a modern choir performing specially arranged version of big soul, funk, gospel and pop hits
- The John Pope Quintet – Pope is a member of the phenomenal Archipelago and plays with Me Lost Me. His quintet is pure jazz fire and not to be missed.
How much is it?
Music by the Marina is entirely free and no tickets are needed. Just turn up, rock out and have an amazing time!
Can anyone attend?
There are no age restrictions although please do think about any younger children’s sensitive ears when you make your way down the front!
Music by the Marina is an exciting venture that's bound to be a whole heap of fun. A collection of varied, diverse talent from our city playing in a lovely location and for free? What's not to like?